Multimedia Storytime for One-Year-Olds, by Shelley Black Holley
I have worked in the library field thirteen years, and seven of them have been in Children’s Services. In the past year, I have expanded to using apps, along with music, movement, and books in my classes. Planning programming is a major part of my job. I love giving storytimes and introducing books and literacy to my classes. Staying current and sharing technology with my patrons is another wonderful part of being a librarian. Being a children’s librarian is such an honor because we help parents and children explore the world through literacy, technology, art and music every day at the library! Here’s a recent program I shared with one-year-olds.
Multimedia Storytime by Miss Shelley for One-Year-Olds
Southington Public Library – Southington Connecticut
Wonderful Ones (Ages 10 to 24 months) Theme – Colors
1. Here Comes the Sun by Rockabye Baby
2. Across the Universe by Rockabye Baby
3. Shaky Shaky by The Wiggles (use shaker eggs)
4. Here Comes a Bear by The Wiggles
5. Little Wheel in My Heart by Laurie Berkner Band (use scarves)
App- Zoola Animals
This is a free app that shows animals. We sing. Who’s in the picture? Who’s in the picture today? We look at the app and the animal’s pictures. We identify them and make their noises.
6. Hey Duckie by Bari Koral (use ducks and bells)
7. Subway by Bari Koral (use eggs and bells)
This book was from the website wegivebooks.org. You need to join the site, but it is free and there are several books. It is awesome. I read this book and we talked about colors and counted items. It is projected on the screen via a projector. The children come up front and sit with their parents. The children and parents enjoy seeing it up on the screen and talking about the big book!
8. Good-Bye Song by Yo Gabba Gabba (2x)
Give out Stickers
- Selection of color themed books
- Monsters Love Colors by Mike Austin
- I Spy on the Farm by Edward Gibbs
- Duckie’s Rainbow by Frances Barry
- CD with music
- Zoola App
- Computer with Internet
- Shaker eggs
- Rubber ducks
- Nametags for learning name recognition
- Words to finger plays and music on PowerPoint presented on projector.
- I embed the songs into the PowerPoint and have a CD of songs for backup
- Website with books online today we used – http://www.wegivebooks.org
- Finger Plays ideas from Mailbox magazine and wonderful children’s librarians and blogs (I changed parts as needed)
- List of books and music updated weekly on Pinterest