NAEYC Position Statement: Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8
I was doing a little research for another post and I came across this document again, which is a joint effort of the NAEYC and the Fred Rogers Center. The key messages contained in this position statement are as follows:
- When used intentionally and appropriately, technology and interactive media are effective tools to support learning and development.
- Intentional use requires early childhood teachers and administrators to have information and resources regarding the nature of these tools and the implications of their use with children.
- Limitations on the use of technology and media are important.
- Special considerations must be given to the use of technology with infants and toddlers.
- Attention to digital citizenship and equitable access is essential.
- Ongoing research and professional development are needed.
There is a 21 minute webcast that you can view here: Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs